Today, just in time for Xmas, we have published a new Android app: ‘Tank Totals Calculator’. In the spirit of Xmas we have kept the price at a mere 2 USD until the end of this year;
after New Year the app will be available for its regular price (10 USD).Update: for a limited time Tank Totals Calculator will remain available for only 2 USD!
Tank Totals Calculator is kind of a lite but equally powerful version of the iPhone ‘CargoSurveyor Tools’.
Tank Totals Calculator
The main reason for this release instead of CargoSurveyor Tools for Android is that we’re not yet quite ready to publish the Android version of CargoSurveyor Tools. There is still a lot of work to do porting the iOS app to Android.
Tank Totals Calculator therefore is an abridged version of CargoSurveyor Tools, that lets the user do mainly the following things:
1. Configure the number of tanks required for the ullage report: a maximum of 26 tanks can be configured, meaning a total of 7 pairs of wing tanks plus 7 center tanks plus 2 slop tanks and 3 bottom lines. These could of course also be used as for example residue tanks. The minimum is five sets of wing tanks plus 2 slop tanks and 3 bottom lines, in other words 15 tanks.
Configure number of tanks
2. Enter necessary data (temperature, volume, density, etc) for each tank: regardless of whether the user has chosen SI Metric or Imperial units, the units used for ullage, temperature, density, volume and thermal expansion factor (Alpha) can be changed for each tank independently. Any existing value in the corresponding text field is inline converted to the newly selected unit. Density can be entered in any format, i.e 986.4 or 9864 or 0.9864; the app will automatically convert the value to the required format.
Enter tank data – Metric
Enter tank data – Imperial
The app can calculate for Crude, all black and white products, Lubrication oils and Special applications (such as denatured Ethanol).
Choose Crude, Products, Luboil or Special Application
3. Calculate wedge volumes for ROB or OBQ calculation purposes: here also, regardless of chosen standard, units can be changed between Metric and Imperial and any existing values are automatically converted. Any values entered are stored in the app and available the next time the app is opened.
4. Calculate total weights and volumes, for each grade and for all grades together, in a totals report: the units used in the totals report depend on the chosen standard in the settings, not on the units used when entering tank data. All calculations are done conform the latest API MPMS standards.
Choose totals for any grade
Totals for specific grade
5. View all calculated data for each tank, in a tank details view: The data will be displayed according to the standard chosen in settings.
All data for 1P tank – Imperial
The app contains a settings panel where the user can choose the following:
1. Whether to use SI Metric (i.e. table 54) or Imperial (i.e. table 6) standards
2. Whether to use ASTM 1980 or ASTM 2004 (with 2007 amendments) tables
3. Whether to receive notifications for all data handling. This is recommended to be set as not selected to make it easy on the eyes and is primarily for debugging purposes.
4. Precision settings for volumes and weights. If not selected, these will be set automatically depending on whether ASTM 1980 or 2004 has been chosen.
SI Metric, 1980 setting
Imperial, 2004 setting
All reports are stored on the smartphone and can be retrieved at any time. There is no limit to the number of reports that can be made. Existing reports can be copied with a new name, to easily produce reports before and after loading for example. Using the built in file browser, reports can be deleted or copied by long-pressing on an entry and choosing to either load, copy or delete the entry:
Delete, load or copy existing file
Additional features that are planned for adding are:
- Producing ullage reports and totals reports as a pdf file that can be sent directly from the smartphone as an email, or saved on the sd card.
- Exporting the data as a CSV file which can be imported into an excel spreadsheet.
In the meantime, Tank Totals Calculator can be downloaded in the Google Play store here.
Tank Totals Calculator runs on any Android device from the early Gingerbread to the latest version (Lollipop).